Each year, the Barton Springs/Edwards Aquifer Conservation District, in collaboration with our permittees, offers scholarships for 2 different age groups.
- Kent Butler Memorial Scholarship available for Juniors and Seniors in High School
- Camp Scholarship available for students age 9-15
Scholarship Amount: $2,500
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 (before 5:00pm)
Each year one essay is selected as the winning entry by an independent evaluation panel, and the author receives a $2,500 scholarship to the college, community college, or training institution of his/her choice.
|The District's college scholarship is dedicated as a memorial scholarship honoring one of Austin's most influential environmental planners, Kent Butler. Dr. Butler specialized in bringing science and policy together. He encouraged open conversation, collaboration, and participation from all perspectives. The Kent S. Butler Groundwater Stewardship Scholarship Essay Contest increases the awareness of groundwater issues by rewarding high school students for high quality research and writing. The $2,500 scholarship can be applied toward tuition for any college, community college, or training institution. A panel of independent judges reviews all essays and score them based on content, accuracy of information, originality, grammar, quality of research, and style. The judges represent a cross-section of skills and expertise.|
The District would like to thank Centex Materials, Creedmoor Water Supply and Texas Lehigh Cement Company for donating a portion of their Conservation Credits to the scholarship fund. The scholarship program would not be a success without these generous donations! Thank you!!!
Scholarship Amount: either $650 or $150, depending
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 (before 5:00 pm)
The District, in collaboration with our permittees, sponsors an awards program that includes scholarships for students ages 9-15 through to Aquatic Science Adventure Camp at Texas State University in San Marcos. Winners attend camp run by Texas State University Edwards Aquifer Research and Data Center. This camp offers a unique opportunity for kids to learn about local groundwater resources, test water quality, investigate stream biota, snorkel, try SCUBA diving, and more! The District would like to thank Creedmoor Water Supply and Texas Lehigh Cement Company for donating a portion of their Conservation Credits to the scholarship fund. The scholarship program would not be a success without these generous donations! Thank you!!!
The applications and essays for the 2016 Camp Scholarship program for the Edwards Aquifer Research and Data Center's Aquatic Science Adventure Camp will be due Tuesday, March 22, 2016. This year's program is expected to provide:
- $650 scholarships to the week-long Aquatic Science Adventure Camp (Note: Parent responsible for providing $150 camp deposit fee, which will be needed to hold the child’s spot.)
- $150 scholarships to the 2-Day Aquatic Science Adventure Camp (Note: All $150 paid for by BSEACD.)
Deadline for submissions: 5:00p.m. on Tuesday, March 22, 2016.
Congratulations to the 2015 Scholarship Winners!!
The District would like to thank Centex Materials, Creedmoor Water Supply, Texas Lehigh Cement Company, City of Hays - Elliott Ranch, and Goforth Special Utility District for donating a portion of their 2014 Conservation Credits to the 2015 scholarship fund. The scholarship program would not be a success without these generous donations! Thank you!!!
Kent Butler Memorial College Scholarship winner: Julia Claire Pitre, McCallum High School
Aquatic Science Adventure Camp Scholarship winners:
- Kelly Monashan, UT Elem
- Bernardo Uriarte Pedraza, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Krystal Cortez, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Caitlin Koenig, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Kyler Monashan, Discovery School
- Isis Rivera, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Miriam Larson, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Jacob Crosby, Negley Elem
- Nolan Arellano, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Leonardo "Leo" Sanchez, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Olivia Capochiaro, Lamar Middle
- Nikki Davern, Science Hall Elem
- Ramsey Calvino, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Saraya Manning, Ralph Pfluger Elem
- Samantha Ruthven, Mills Elem
- Trinity Ann Alford McCray, Hornsby-Dunlap Elem
- Tyler Hensley, Gorzycki Middle
- Victor Valdez, Ralph Pfluger Elem
Congratulations to the 2014 Scholarship winners!
Kent Butler College Scholarship: Bowie High School junior, Jenna Trejo
Aquatic Science Adventure Camp Scholarships:
5-day Camp: Somaya Jimenez-Haham of Austin Discovery School and Skylar Koenig, Katelyn Alren, and Savannah Kelsey of Pfluger Elementary School.
2-day Camp: Griffin Rans of Mills Elementary, Kaitlyn Manire of Gorzycki Middle School, and Megan Morris, Sarai Diaz, and McKenzi Pritchard of Pfluger Elementary.